027 – Insulin Resistance & Sleep with Dr Benjamin Bikman
Benjamin J. Bikman, Ph.D., a world renowned metabolic research scientist, is a popular speaker on human metabolism and nutrition. Backed by years of research, Dr. Bikman’s mission is to help the world appreciate the prevalence and relevance of insulin resistance. His book, “Why We Get Sick” offers a thought-provoking yet real solution to insulin resistance and how to reverse pre-diabetes, improve brain function, shed fat, and prevent diabetes.
Dr. Bikman says science shows that by prioritising protein and healthy dietary fats and limiting refined carbohydrates, human health and metabolism thrive and insulin resistance is resolved. In May 2020, Dr. Bikman and his co-founding team of nutrition and industry experts launched the HLTH Code Complete Meal, a delicious shake for helping individuals maintain a healthy diet during a fast-paced lifestyle. Dr. Bikman has a Doctor of Philosophy in Bioenergetics from East Carolina University, a Master of Science in Exercise Physiology, and a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science from Brigham Young University.
In this episode, we dive into:
“Insulin Resistance and Sleep”
- Dr Bikman has really looked deep into fat cells and the role of insulin. What made him so fascinated about insulin resistance and exploring this so deeply? What are inflamed fat cells?
- What can fat cells do in the body and the role of insulin? Is obesity something that can be ignored?
- Do certain diets predispose someone towards insulin resistance?
- What exactly is insulin resistance? How can you know if you are insulin resistant?
- How does insulin resistance impact all health?
- How can insulin resistance impact sleep?
- How can long term poor sleep that is ignored impact how insulin behaves in your body? What are the three pillars that lead to insulin resistance?
- What are the ways you can improve insulin resistance in terms of diet and habits? How do you actually know that you are insulin resistant and how would you know if that has improved?
- If someone is struggling with poor sleep and insulin resistance, where should they begin?
For more on Dr Benjamin Bikman, you can follow him:
-For more on Deepa:
Deepa is a Yoga therapist for over two decades and a Functional Nutritionist for five. She brings together her experience in therapeutic & transformational yoga and deep learning in nutrition based on the principles of functional medicine to her practice Phytothrive. The focus has been on merging together the deep science of the functional world with the deep symbolism of ancient wisdom. She has a masterful understanding of the human anatomy with cohesive understanding of physiology to offer what can be classified as true bio-individual mind, body & spirit nutrition. Having a son with a rare adrenal condition gave her a deep insight into the working of the adrenals and the stress response, as it relates to all health and sleep. Her articles have been shared by Dr Mark Hyman, MD, a 13 times NY Times Bestselling Author twice. She also gave the opening speech on Health Hacks at Amazon Web Services & YourStory HeathTech 2019 to heads of healthcare start-ups in India. Deepa has twenty years of experience in wellness, where she has focus on sleep nutrition, women’s health, detoxification, skin health and adrenal function. She is in the YourStory100 Digital Influencers Of 2020.
💎 Get her newsletter on every vitamin and mineral and see what it does in your body: https://phytothrive.com
Get All Her Free Guides:
💎 Phytonutrient Power: https://phytothrive.com/food-spirit/
💎 Beginner’s Guide To Functional Nutrition: https://phytothrive.com/about/
💎 Website: https://phytothrive.com
💎YourStory Articles: https://yourstory.com/author/deepakannan
💎YourStory 100 Digital Influencers Of 2020: https://yourstory.com/2020/12/yourstory-100-digital-influencers-2020
To work with Deepa:
💎Write to: [email protected]
💎Write to: [email protected]