Here’s the lowdown on Phyto Bites. I created Phyto Bites on my blog as unique anti-inflammatory recipes. This is not just another food blog, for every recipe is curated through Functional Medicine Nutrition with an intention to heal specific systems, organs or conditions. I know how you might struggle with health challenges and battle with symptoms, and I created this series especially to help you to put into practice all the information you might get through my articles. This series is really your action steps, and this is powerful information which I’m sharing with you, which my clients get when they work with me.
This one is my personal favourite! You’re going to hear me say this a lot, for I have so many of them! But, this I created with a great deal of thought to help my own body. So many women are struggling with hormonal issues. If you are keen to know more about different kinds of PMS and see which group you identify with, you can read my article here. The fact is hormones need to be handled like a woman. If you try and force your hormones to behave, chances are they are going to rebel. Hormones need gentle care.
Smoothies are wonderful! Yes, they are also a fad and many times are done wrong. One of the biggest mistakes people make in smoothies is having huge amounts of fruit, which can mess with blood sugar. If you go to many of the stores out there today, smoothies are loaded with sugars! You’re much better of staying away from them. The other thing about smoothies is that many people load them with ingredients ranging from so called superfoods to various cleansing herbs. Not only does this become tricky for many people, as many superfoods like spirulina can be allergic to many people, it also makes the smoothie not taste so great. I don’t care how healthy a smoothie might be, but if I have to guzzle it down because it doesn’t taste very good, I don’t think I’m going to benefit from it. On the other hand, smoothies are a great way to make a nutrient dense food. Don’t guzzle it down. Sip it slowly, and savour the smell, sight, taste and touch of it.
My Hormone Balancing Sunshine Smoothie does exactly this. What goes into this smoothie supports your hormones and brings a great deal of balance into your system. It looks and tastes heavenly! It’s great on your gut. The phytonutrients in it are specially chosen as nutrients that benefit your hormones. Let’s breakdown the ingredients of this recipe before going into it. Think of this one like the sun shining down energy upon your hormonal system.
- Yellow Pumpkin– Pumkins are rich in beta carotene, which can convert to Vitamin A. They also contain fibre, Vitamin C, E, Iron and Potassium. They are extremely high in antioxidants and are powerful in supporting immunity! For more information on what each of these vitamins and minerals do in your body, download my Vibrant Vitamins Might Minerals E-Book!
- Spices– Spices are brain boosting and brain healing foods. Ginger has been the age old digestive wonder in India, and continues to be so. It promotes gut healing and microbial balancing. Cinnamon and nutmeg are anti-inflammatory.
- Whey– Whey has got a bad reputation recently, yet it increases glutathione production, and is supportive to liver detoxification. If you can find a good whey which is grass-fed, it can be a great source of easy to digest protein. If you do not want whey, the options are there as well.
Always remind yourself that food is medicine! My mantra is to enjoy every phase of food, from conception to creation to consumption! Food should be easy to prepare, especially if you have health challenges. All my recipes are quick and require just a little bit of prep. If you try this out and love it as much as I do, share a picture on instagram and tag me @phytothrive!
An Elixir with the intention of improving brain clarity with a rich supply of phytonutrients. All my recipes are really simple. I understand that you are really busy, but I also want you to look towards food as something that is simple and is an empowering tool in your hands. You do not need anyone to make things for you. It's super simple!
- 20 Cashews
- 1 cup Mulberries
- Few drops Lavender Essence
- 1 tsp Manuka Honey
- 1 scoop Protein powder Optional. Use Collagen, Whey Isolate or Vegan Protein
Soak the cashews in hot water for few hours. Grind them smooth with very little water. Add more water to make a glass of cashew milk. Many cashew milk recipes call for filtering. I don't do that.
Gently wash the mulberries in clean water and tap dry.
Blend all the ingredients together and consume absolutely fresh. Observe yourself in a few hours. Do you notice if your brain feels calm? Do you have more clarity and creativity?