Glorious Spritzer Kashayam Recipe
Have you ever found a great kashayam recipe?
Kashayam is traditionally a drink in ayurveda which has a combination of many healing spices. It is a healing and immune boosting recipe which provides the resources that your body needs to fight off any potential infections or invaders. My kashaya recipe is a spritzer with a twist. I thought about what I would like to see in my own recipes archive. I realised that healthy foods and immune boosting recipes are often thought to be bland and lacking in excitement, which is what keeps many people away. My mantra is to take food that is healthy, and make it more sexy!
With any kashayam recipe, there are certain times that your usual should drink which is at the onset of a flu, when everyone around you is getting sick, when you feel cold all the time or when you feel debilitated and exhausted. Today, it is common to feel this way most of the time, and we are in a situation where immune boosting is critical. Yet, I don’t think it needs to be a hot drink all the time, nor necessarily that a hot drink is helpful to everyone. My kashayam recipe is this spritzer, which is a cool drink with all the ingredients of a traditional kashayam.
Get all the benefits of a traditional kashayam in this immune boosting kashaya spritzer
As I said, I am really thoughtful of making healthy food more sexy! I find that many times healthy foods becomes bland, flavourless and puts people off. Of course, a traditional kashayam is also wonderfully flavourful, but as far as kashayam recipes go, this one is exciting! It popped up in my head at night before I was nodding off, and I could not wait to try it the next day!
Usually my son will screw his nose up at anything turmeric, so when I mentioned that I was making myself a drink with turmeric root, he lost interest. He was sitting at our outer dining table for virtual school, when I went out to take a picture. He watched me set up my ingredients and then I poured in the sparkling water. The yellow bubbly that frothed up, made him get up from his seat and come to try it! I told him that it was an immune boosting recipe called kashaya spritzer. He gulped down half before I could stop him and told me to go make myself another one! Can you imagine a child drinking a kashyam?
As you keep seeing all my recipes, I have three stars of the show, in this case, it’s turmeric, ginger and pepper. Remember my mantra, which is enjoy food from concept to creation to consumption! You really want to bring your awareness. Intention matters. If you think that you need a kashayam recipe, try this simple recipe, loaded with brilliant ingredients and one that sparkles. If you would also like to try a traditional recipe, I suggest trying this one.
Let’s breakdown the ingredients of this recipe before going into it:
- Turmeric– Turmeric is now used to treat arthritis, neurological problems and cancer. Curcumin has medicinal properties that are on par with hydrocortisone or a steroid. It reduces the buildup of beta amyloid plaque in the brain associated with Alzheimer’s, and is important in the treatment of cancer. It is highly anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial.
- Ginger–Ginger is an antioxidant which helps your cells fight oxidative stress and damage. It allows your cells to recover and improves energy production within your cells. It also slows down the damage caused to cells. Think of ginger as your cellular superstar!
- Pepper–Did you know that black pepper improves the bioavailability of curcumin in turmeric by upto 2000 times? This means that simply combining the two is great to absorb the potent benefits of turmeric! All this is what makes this an immune boosting recipe.
Always remind yourself that food is medicine! With so many ingredients that support immune system, I call this kashayam recipe an immune boosting star. If you would like to boost your immune system, bring this in to your daily routine. If you try this out and love it as much as I do, share a picture on instagram and tag me @phytothrivefunctionalnutrition! You might also like this hibiscus and rose sparkler.
My recipes are all super simple, but all of them have an intention towards a system in the body. My intention is that you learn to use food as medicine, but in the simplest way possible. You might also like to try this immune empowering volcano broth.
- Gas Stove or Water Heater
- 1 long Turmeric Root Take a root which is three inches long
- 1 long Ginger Root Take a root which is three inches long
- 1 sachet Tulsi Tea I used Organic India Tulsi Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Raw Honey I used half teaspoon and some drops of stevia
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 pinch Cumin Powder
- 1 glass Sparkling Water
- 1/2 a Lemon
- Take the turmeric and ginger root. Slice them up and place them in a lemon squeezer with half a lemon on top. Squeeze them repeatedly to get a strong extract of both in your glass.
- In the meantime, heat two tablespoons of water. Soak the tulsi tea bag and let it sit for few minutes.
- In a tall glass, add the turmeric and ginger extract. Add the strained tulsi tea, coriander powder, cumin powder, honey and black pepper. Pour the spakling water and enjoy it immediately.